Thursday, February 16, 2012

Last Day

The week before vacation is always a hectic week at work.  Kids' bodies are longing for a break from school, just as much as the teachers are.  It's a time of wrapping up projects, assessments, and getting things ready to start new units when we return.  I do my best to put my best face forward and keep the kids learning and content until break.  It's not always easy, but today's laughter in my classroom 5 minutes before the call for busses, let me know that I'm doing my best.  It's been a good distraction to what's going on with my own kiddo. 

Tomorrow is Cha-cha's last day at his current daycare.  He's been there since he was 6 months old and I just don't know how tomorrow is going to pan out.  We went today and picked out gifts for his teacher and the director and he looked up at me and asked me, "Why?"  I told him that it's time for him to go to a big boy school and get to take a school bus and go to Miss Wendy's (our beloved at home daycare provider that cared for Bee-bee until she was 3 1/2 years old) - he smiled and said, "I go skoo ba?".  I then told him that he won't be going back to Sprouts, he knelt down on the ground and he cried - big, fat tears.  We bought cupcakes and I let him pick 3 different types because at that point, I couldn't continue to argue with him. 

Tomorrow morning, we take him to see his new school.  We'll see his new teacher, we will try to work out all the logistics, and after the orientation, hubby will drop him off for his last day and we'll both to work.  Cha-cha will bring books to give the school as a thank you, cupcakes to eat with his friends, and the gifts he picked out for his teachers.  When I go to pick him up at the end of the day, we'll say good-bye...I keep saying it's going to be a good thing.  It's true, I can't keep up the stamina of all these therapies, work, and home.  Having them done at school with just two outside therapies is going to give us more time - which is always precious when you're a working mom.

We'll make it through the day.  We have a week off and then we'll set off on our new adventure.

No comments: