Monday, February 27, 2012

Happy Birthday and First Day Success!

Our Cha-cha turned three today.  It baffles me that 3 years ago, he came into our lives after a rough c-section...all 10lbs 3oz and 22 inches of him.  He didn't make that c-section easy.  My spinal didn't take all the way and it was scary for me that they would cut when I could still feel things (thankfully, they didn't and it took after they tilted me in a weird way).  I remember there was a lot of commotion, the anestheiologist said that as soon as I heard suctioning, within 2 minutes, our baby would be born.  I remember minutes going by and the doctor yelling to get a vacuum from the other room and that he was turning breech on the operating table.  There was a lot of pushing - later I found out that it took 3 people to push/pull him out.  My doctor joked afterwards that she didn't need to go to the gym that day. He didn't cry right away, but as soon as we could see him on that side table, he cried.  As soon as hubby was able to hold him, he quieted down and I got to kiss his cheek.  His birth was a little different than Bee-bee's - with her, there was a lot of friendly chatter, things seemed lighter - with him, I was more nervous.  Maybe because I knew that he was our last child, maybe I was afraid of my own mortality thinking of my 3 year old girl at home.  Either way, it was different. 



The nice thing about a second child is that not a lot of people come to visit you, especially in February during a snow storm. ;)  When you're stuck at the hospital for 4 days and all you are responsible for is nursing your baby and resting, you do a lot of bonding.  You're less nervous and you know how precious those first moments are because life will quickly pass by and you'll watch your child getting on a school bus.  You have this older child who comes in the hospital and views her brother with excitement and delight.  She beams at his little features and quietly sings, "You are My Sunshine" to him.  She talks about being a family now that he's here.



Flash forward to today.  We really weren't going to celebrate a lot for his birthday today - we did a lot of celebrating last week and this weekend, so he could focus on his first day of intergrated preschool in a language based classroom.  Bee-bee woke up singing Happy Birthday to him and cheering him on about being 3.  I made his special pancakes and he picked out a tiger shirt to wear to school.  He reminded us of his new teachers' names, talked about riding the bus, and me picking him up at the end of the day.

We dropped off Bee-bee and hubby and I drove to his school.  We were greeted at the door by his new teacher and she led him into the classrom and showed him the morning routine - hanging up his coat and backpack, putting his snack on the shelf in his cubby, making his mark next to his name (in which he put the cap back on the cover and made sure it was in the marker box - to which the teacher winked at me and said, "He's done this before, you can tell."), and then washing his hands.  I asked him for a high five and he looked at hubby and I and said, "Good-bye Mommy Daddy" and he spun around and off he went.  Hubby and I looked at each other and said goodbye to the other teacher and walked out.  As soon as we hit the cold air, we looked at each other an laughed.  All that nervous energy, all that planning and worry - and that is how he reacted.  I mentioned on FB today that God didn't let him cry - God knew I couldn't handle his tears today.  My own were hard enough to handle.



At the end of the day, he had a great first day.  He rode the bus and he went to daycare after school just fine (however he didn't nap).  He went to his afternoon/evening speech session and worked hard for 57/60 minutes he was there.  Three minutes before leaving, he looked at his SLP and said, "I done.  Good-bye" and walked out the therapy room door.  He was tired, he was done with the day.  He came home, we watched Curious George, ate dinner and went to bed after reading 2 books.  He asked for cuddles and gave me kisses goodnight.
Oh, and if you ask him how old he is, you will not hear him say, "Fu-wee"...no, he will tell you that he's five.  He better not grow up that fast!

No comments: