Friday, August 24, 2007

Gentle Blue Giant

So where did this name come from? Well, a few years ago I took a course called Responsive Classroom - and we learned this song that sounds great when sung in a round. It was called, "This Pretty Planet." So I learned this song, taught it to my students and fell in love with it.

Flash forward to my 2 week old daughter (sometimes around Christmas 2005) and I just couldn't get her to sleep. So what do I do? I swaddled, swayed, shhhed, cluster fed until my nipples felt like they were going to fall off...and then it came to me - sing the "Pretty Planet" song - and so I have done every night since then. This song is also known to keep Little One quiet while driving in the car - only I must sing it as loud as my voice can go.

I just found out a few weeks ago (when I was sharing this info with a friend) - that it's the Earth Day theme song - who would have known it had such a powerful following?

Here is the song:

This Pretty Planet
By John Forster & Tom Chapin

This pretty planet
Spinning through space,
You're a garden,
You're a harbor,
You're a holy place,

Golden sun going down,
Gentle blue giant
Spin us around.

All through the night,
Safe 'til the morning light.

Here is a picture of Nah-nah Bee singing to Little One back in January '06:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: