Monday, March 12, 2012

Temporary Burn Out?

The last two private sessions for Cha-cha have been tough.  On Saturday, Hubby and the SLP noted that he was slow to warm up and it took time for him to get into his play/therapy mode with the SLP (who he has been seeing twice a week since August).  Today, he almost cried when it was time to go back to her room.  Both Bee-bee and I followed him back, as he doesn't like to be separated from us, and after about 5 minutes, he sat in my lap and pretty much refused to participate.  He would then go back and forth from playing to my lap.  After about 40 minutes, he laid across my lap and put his hands over his ears and refused to continue. 

I asked him what was wrong and he said, "No.  All done." 

I then asked him if he was upset and frustrated and he said, "Yes."  When I asked him why he was upset, he said, "No talk nobody." :(

It pains me.  I don't know what is completely going on in that little big head of his.  As he's getting older, he's noticing he is not like other kids.  I know that in my heart and his teachers have told me this.  Even at a young age, I've heard kids ask me, "Why doesn't he talk?" or "Why doesn't he talk right?"  Does bullying start at age 3?  I'm hoping that this small lapse in following through with therapy is related to him possibly being overtired, or the time change or adjusting to his new school.  We were warned that there would be setbacks in his progress with the transition, but I didn't think it would happen with him. 

Thankfully, he's willing to talk when he's happy or excited and he doesn't seem too upset over the sessions like I am.  Tonight, when he was going to bed, I had him giggling about going to school, taking the school bus to daycare and then our plans for when I pick him up.  Hopefully, the week will be a good one for him and he will have a better session on Saturday.

1 comment:

Laura said...

We are going through the same thing with G and he was three in Nov. For the last month, he has been non cooperative for his private SLP. At school, he's pretty much the same. I expect he's very tired too and also noticing the differences. While his language has EXPLODED this winter, kids are also noticing more. He's not being bullies but the natural questions are coming. He's also asking to do sports like soccer and those would be with his "typical" peers, so more questions would come. He's getting to the age where he is not going tobe as isolated anymore (not just us, his small school and close friends) and I am worried about the transition for all of us.
So, um, you are not alone!
Laura